4.27.2014

I'm wrong: On why "I love you" can be more than enough in our current culture

OK so let's get things cleared up. First of all: I stand by what I said in the last post. Hearing the words, "I still love you" implies that a coming out calls for a reevaluation of love, and that's not a great reality. However, due to recent conversations in my life, I have come to realize why so many people value a response of "I still love you" so much. Sometimes accepting sexuality and/or gender preferences can be terribly tough on those in an LGBT person's life. In our current society, for many the process of coming out still does initiate a reevaluation of love. While this is unfortunate, it is simply how people are. Hopefully in the future, the idea of being LGBT won't jeopardize a relationship, but right now it does for many with unaccepting relatives. So hearing "I still love you" can mean a lot. It indicates that although someone had to question a relationship, they still decided that they could get past a perceived flaw in their loved one and choose to still love them.

No comments :

Post a Comment